It wasnt graphic visually, but dialogue was very strong and I think most of the shock factor lies in the script. It's still a really sensitive topic here and rightly so! It kinda makes me understand why the Chinese and Koreans hate Japs so much...
Me, Francis & Kat before the show:
Here are some of the stories:
One of the characters, an 11year of girl who was abducted from her family, had to endure the 20+ men who stand in lines every day. She had her nipples bitten off and eaten raw by one of the Japanese soldiers, and the doctor sewed it up with dirty materials too tightly, and used scrap paper as a bandage.
Her friend, a 15 year old, told her that she could save some of the allocated 30mins per soldier by doubling over and coughing. "It saves 10 seconds", she says. How sad. Then another girl said that if you spend too long arched over coughing, they just take you from behind...
A pregnant girl was raped so hard continuously by different men that she suffered a miscarriage and then carried a bag of straw on her back forever, pretending it was her baby.
Another girl tried to escape, and had her leg sawed off by the soldiers as punishment. After she was treated by the doctor, he raped her on the hospital bed.
And another girl was lying in her tent when it got struck by a bomb. She was cut in half at the waist by debris, but as the soldiers were already lining up and would not get their "comfort" for the day, they did her anyway... just her bottom half.
OMG...
The only picture I got because I had to sneak it:
At the end of the play, Mueller reminds us the fight of the comfort women is not yet over: ``The enemy of truth is not falsehood. It is forgetfulness.''
Many of the comfort women were massacred when the war ended. The women who did survive had to deal with shame and rejection from society, and most of them committed suicide. Surviving Korean comfort women still demand an official apology from the Japanese government, revision of Japanese history textbooks, compensatory payments and a memorial museum, but to little success.
Afterwards, Kat offered to ride me back home on her bike but I was too scared to without a helmet. I'm such a chicken shit.
But I sat on it and took a photo :)
I also watched 2 movies by myself this week - The Ugly Truth and FAME. Both were good, and plus I really love watching movies on my own. During The Ugly Truth (even though it was lame in sections), I sat there laughing my head off really loudly spluttering my icecream everywhere, and afterwards when the light came on everyone was staring at me wondering who that idiot girl was. Whatever.
FAME made me cry. Not that it was particularly moving, and it definately doesnt beat High School Musical (*cheesy grin*) but maybe it just reminded me of a life I'll never have since I gave up music & performing arts :(
xxoo
yes, its very sad :( and i understand why Chinese and Koreans hate Japanese, however, i dont think the younger generation of Japan should have to cop any abuse about their ancestors cruelty. I like Japanese, Chinese and Koreans very much, i dont care where someone comes from just as long as theyre good people. You'll probably hate me for saying this. And im not just saying it because my hubby is Japanese :)
ReplyDelete